Type/Code recognizes that diverse teams make the strongest teams. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups in tech are highly encouraged to apply.
As a Product Manager at Type/Code, you will be the human interface between our designers, developers, and clients. From helping to establish core product strategy, through documenting and maintaining development specifications, and actively guiding our design and development processes; you are part creative problem solver and part technical producer. You thrive at thoughtfully balancing ambitious design objectives with real-world constraints to launch exceptional digital products and experiences on time and on budget. You will work closely with our entire team in collaboration with our clients to help clarify objectives, facilitate design and technology solutions, and help usher our projects through launch and beyond.
At Type/Code you’ll be expected to constantly learn and grow on the job, taking on interesting tasks outside your normal wheelhouse and expanding your toolkit. That said, this is a senior role and significant experience (5+ years) as a product manager is a must. As a senior level position, experience with all of the below is expected and expertise in many is assumed. As such we’d love to hear about your experience with the following:
- Collaborating with clients and stakeholders to help define business objectives, user needs, and project constraints
- Actively participating in design processes to ensure project requirements are met and development processes will be successful
- Familiarity and fluency in both UX design principles and common web technologies and development approaches
- Writing and maintaining product requirement documents, functional specifications, and content model documentation
- Translating design deliverables into detailed development tasks and specifications
- Collaborating with developers on time estimates, sprint planning, and task prioritization
- Utilizing product management tools and platforms such GitHub Issues, Linear, and JIRA
- Planning, implementing, and leveraging data tracking strategies, analytics, and BI tools to inform ongoing product evolutions
- Launching successful digital products on time and on budget
- Smart, kind, and proactive leadership
What We value
- Community: our team is small and close knit and we want you to join the family
- Work/life balance: we're not a startup. We stay away from projects with unrealistic deadlines. We believe folks can be passionate about their work, but still allow your non-work life to be a priority!
- Thoughtful, high quality work: we want you to own what you do, care about it, want to do it well, and create something you feel good about
- Communication: especially in the current distributed model, frequent and clear communication with the team is crucial
Though we’ll reopen our Brooklyn office at some point this year, our team is currently pretty distributed — our only location requirement is that you have sufficient work hours overlap with the rest of the team on Eastern Time.
Compensation & Benefits
- $85-$135k base salary Salary is commensurate with experience.
- 100% Health, dental, and vision insurance. We take care of the entire cost of the monthly premiums for a selection of health, dental, and vision plans
- 4% 401k matching After your first year with us, we’ll match your 401k contributions up to 4% of your salary.
- Generous vacation policy Three weeks of paid time off, plus at least two weeks of studio holidays — including December 24th to January 1st, so you don’t need to use PTO to see the fam.
- Unlimited sick days Take the time you need to right the ship.
- Paid parental leave After a birth or adoption, primary caregivers receive twelve weeks paid time off; secondary caregivers receive six weeks. After parental leave, there is additional flexibility for a partial return to work.
- Professional growth stipend We’ll help if there are courses, conferences, or other professional growth opportunities you want to try out.
- Pre-tax commuter benefits Use pre-tax dollars to cover costs for public transportation, parking, and other commuting-related expenses.
- Flexible hours Work when and where is most productive for you.
- Brooklyn & worldwide While roughly half of our team is New York-based, we’re currently fully remote pending a new Brooklyn office later in 2022. We’re location agnostic as long as you can find a schedule that allows for a reasonable amount of overlap with New York time.
Hire me already
Send a cover letter explaining why you feel you would be a great fit for Type/Code, and a brief description of some projects you’ve recently worked on to:
Type/Code is a boutique, Brooklyn based, full service digital product agency. At 20 people, we have a lean team of talented folks who love to design and build things. We’re experts in product, UX, and visual design, backed by an outstanding development team that brings exceptional digital experiences to life. We're also a community of friends, collaborators, colleagues that love to work together. We take on compelling projects with clients like A24 Films, Google, Scholastic, MoMA, and MIT Media Lab just to name a few (see some of our case studies). Over the past decade we’ve launched hundreds of impactful projects — our mission is to tackle interesting challenges with people that we’re excited to collaborate with.
While a significant amount of our work is client-focused, we jump at any opportunity to build self-driven tools and products. Our studio atmosphere is friendly, laid-back, collaborative, flexible, and full of a passionate group of designers and developers who love what they do.